6th Grade Science Syllabus
Sixth grade science will address the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS) through the following strands:
- Science investigation and reasoning
- Matter and energy
- Force, motion, and energy
- Earth and space
- Organisms and environments
- Daily procedures – check the board for what you will need for the day and complete the Bell work. If you are not in your seat when the bell rings, you are late.
- No Gum/Food – You are allowed a water bottle in class.
NONE of this will be available in lab.
- 1 Bathroom pass per 6-weeks - You have 5 minutes between class to take care of business and get back to my class.
- Tutoring – I am available if you are having a hard time in class. Please see me and we can arrange a time.
- Grading Policy – You will have 6-10 daily grades that will account for 40% of your grade and you will have 2-3 test/project grades that will account for 40% of your grade. 20% of six weeks average will be journaling, labs, and participation.
- Late work – Expect homework at least 1 time per week. If you turn it in late, it is minus 10pts each day late it is. After the 5th school day, it is a “0”. Late work and/or missing assignments count towards earning It Matters Incentive days at the end of each six weeks.
- Absent Work – If you are absent, it is your responsibility to get the work you missed from the folder. If you missed 1 day you have 1 day to get your work back to me, missed 2 days you have 2 days to get your work back to me, etc…..
- Corrections – If you make below a 70 on a daily assignment you can do corrections to earn half credit back towards the current grade.
Tests – You will take a test after EVERY unit! If you make below a 70, you may correct your test. Corrections include using a different color pen or pencil, getting the test paper signed, and explaining why your second answer is better than your first. Cheating – If you are caught cheating it is an automatic “0”
- Extra Credit – There will be some extension activities posted on Schoology for each unit. I also add various extensions onto my Web page throughout the year.
- Essential Supplies:
- 1composition notebooks – we use our Science journals everyday!
- Dry erase markers
- Bottle of glue/or glue sticks
- Map pencils
- ear buds
**Some supplies are just for my class and some will be used in all classes.
- Dismissal – The bell does not dismiss you….I do, so do not get up out of your chair when the bell rings.
My classroom Expectations:
- Always come PREPARED
- Be PROMPT
- Be PRODUCTIVE
- Be POLITE
- Be POSITIVE
- Student Conference
- Parent Contact
* Severe offenses will be referred to the assistant principal immediately!
**Violation of Lab Safety Rules results in immediate removal from lab **